So the noch winik ("old man") that lives next door has his own sugar mill and he invited me over to watch him use it a few weeks ago. The mill, which has been passed down for many generations, is powered by a mule that walks in circles (so cool!). As you can see the mule (or "moolah" as they call it) is harnessed to a wooden beam that connects to a system of steel pistons that then squeeze the sugar juice out of the sugar cane. Mr. Cho feeds the sugar cane into the machine and the juice pours out into a big vat. Once there is enough juice, he then boils the cane juice on a fire hearth for about 5 hours or until all of the water has boiled away and there is only a goopy, brown, molasses-esque mixture left over. Then before the thick goop cools he pours it into molds to harden. We got to lick the bowl when he was done (see picture for me looking extremely miserable as I did this). After about an hour of cooling you have a bunch of mug-shaped chunks of pure sugar, ready for consumption. Its so delicious, but I'm certain that I increased my chance of getting diabetes that week. I definitely skipped a few meals due to sugar snacking overload, but in no way do I regret the pure joy that was brought to my taste buds that week. Sorry, I know these pictures are probably torturous to look at. Next time he invites me over for a sugar day I'll try to stock up on some extra chunks to bring home. Or you could just come visit and see the whole process for yourself, right?
Hope everyone had a spectacular Thanksgiving!
-DL
don't worry about diabetes, i got plenty of meds i can share with you
ReplyDelete